RCU Forums - View Single Post - FAA fine against drone photographer dismissed.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:04 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Food for thought (maybe) - the FARs have rules and exceptions/waivers for various flight operations, for example "Aerial Spraying" that extends the definition of "navigable airspace". I'm pretty certain that if I flew any of my RC aircraft, whether drone, FPV, or normal heli/aircraft operation within close proximity of that crop duster crowd here, *THEY* would take exception to it, and I imagine the FAA wouldn't like it much, either. And by their operational waivers and exemptions from "normal" FARs, the full-scale operational area is actually defining what "navigable airspace" is.

I'm not inclined to test whether or not my theories are correct, but being a FS pilot also, I'm pretty sure I would have FAA support to any complaint I lodged if I felt my "navigable airspace" was violated by any toys.

Playing semantics for weeks/months in this thread is entertaining, but fruitless.
Rational thinking persons of average intelligence will figure it our darned quick, even if the FAA does *NOT* pass some specific guidelines. Interfere with FS operations that are within THEIR FARs, and you've interfered with "navigable airspace" which is by definition within the regulatory purview and authority of the FAA. They don't need a judge to rule on that point....