RCU Forums - View Single Post - FAA fine against drone photographer dismissed.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:37 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
They cannot rewrite those definitions, that can only be done by Congress as that comes from the US Code not the FARS.
That "definition" issue was the reason behind my post. FAA does not need to rewrite anything. All they need do is write FARs that deal with the operational definition of "navigable airspace" near the earth in more detail (or more broadly, as they see appropriate) and the limits will then be under the domain of FAA.

The two significant issues of sUAS are still 1) see and avoid full-scale operations *wherever* those FS operations take place, and 2) "protect" the privacy and physical risk exposure of the general populace from intrusion/harm by the sUAS. Defining #1 probably will cover the "commercial" major players, as many of them already function safely and know what they are doing. Item 2, however, is idiot-land, where anyone can buy a toy that is capable of significant risk of harm/injury to people or property and breach privacy of people. I can certainly understand the complexity of trying to create legislative rules to attempt to create reason and logic for those morons that have neither.

As has been very well stated many of times - you cannot write in rules to prevent stupid. Only rules that deal with setting limits of operations so that violations can hopefully be prosecuted which create a deterrent effect.