RCU Forums - View Single Post - wanna see what everyone here thinks happend to my control of a plane w/ expo set wron
Old 06-01-2014, 07:09 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

rcworld2000, I have a T.F. Cessna 182 that is an older kit built version (I assume yours is the newer ARF version) that I bought used about 11 or 12 years ago. I was at a similar stage in my RC learning curve as you are now, good on the Hobbistar 60 and looking to move up. I set the Cessna up using the high rate and low rate settings in the T.F. build instructions. I found them to be very easy to learn to fly this plane with, staying mostly on low rates as I flew this plane mostly in a scale fashion. A few non scale loops and rolls to "stretch my wings" now and then and for learning fun . Your ARF version and my kit built a the same aircraft offered in different formats. The set up specs should be very close if not the same. My book calls for: Elevator 1-1/16" up and down on high rate, 3/4" up and down on low rate. Rudder 1" left and right on high rate, 5/8" left and right on low rate. Ailerons 5/8" up and down on high rate, 1/2" up and down on low rate. Flaps 1" down on take off and 2" down for landing. My plane was built with no flaps but yours will have them. Compare the settings to your printed specs and the control throws and each surface of your plane. This should give you a good comfortable base set up to get used to this faster less self righting scale plane. Take offs and landings should always be on low rates and I would advise not using the flaps for while if your runway is long enough to land without them. This plane will float a long ways on landing and use up a lot of runway. If you have the runway room to learn with, practice making pretty scale like soft landings before adding flap use to the learning curve. One step at a time. Get good with each new step before adding more stuff. I still have my T.F. Cessna and flew it three weeks ago for the first time in about 3 years. It is still a pleasure to fly and makes great realistic landings. Use your stick as your "hotrod" and the Cessna as a tool to perfect your scale flying skills and you will have this plane to enjoy for years to come. If after getting comfortable flying on the low rate specs for a while and you decide you want to try a little expo, that's personal preference. It's OK, just go slowly and take it one step at a time.

Last edited by 52larry52; 06-01-2014 at 07:27 PM.