RCU Forums - View Single Post - Did I Experience a Tip Stall?
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 03:26 PM
Avistarpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I Experience a Tip Stall?

So went out and buzzed around the patch again today but on the last flight...(literally thought to myself after the last landing I should probably pack up but talked myself into one more flight)...isn't that how it always goes? Pretty sure it's the same as "hey watch this", something will always goes wrong. Anyway, back on topic. I should mention I fly off a section of a grass runway airport that is mowed short for rc pilots around town. It's mowed short but is fairly rough. Lately it's been taking the Avistar almost the full length of the runway to get airborne. We're talking maybe 100-150ft if I were to guess. I gave her the coals and about the normal speed I feel is right I give a little up elevator and it usually takes off nice and easy. This time it wasn't having it, I let off on the elevator and try to gain more ground speed and give up elevator again and it pops off the grass but the LH wing immediately dips. With my extended take off roll I ventured a little too far from the center of the runway and the left gear leg, and the wing tip from the looks of it, touched the tall weeds on the outer skirt of the runway and pulled it in and cartwheels the plane faster than I could correct it. Funny thing...well not so funny, is it happened one time before but I was able to level off and continue with my climb out. Really didn't think much of it at the time but looking back it behaved the same way.

Reflecting on the event the only thing I can think of is that I tried to take off too soon before the wing was ready to carry the load of the entire aircraft? Once in the air the plane flies great so I can't imagine anything changed in the cg that drastically to cause this? I'm going to chock this one up as a learning experience, rebuild and fly again.

Good news is the rest of the plane and wings look undamaged. Bad news: the cartwheel slammed the engine rearward, breaking the firewall off and cracking the lh fuse side and throttle servo tray. I just bought a larger prop also to try and help with taking off in grass...but didn't install it yet

Been wanting to swap the little 40LA out for a 55 AX for a while now, now might be the perfect time to do it. Think I'm going to stiffen up the vertical and horizontal stabilizers as well. They were getting kind of sloppy where the vertical bolts through the horizontal. Might glass the wing halves too. Oh. And put on some bigger tires for the grass strip.

Damage pics: