RCU Forums - View Single Post - New member, lots of questions!!! JPX turbine
Old 06-11-2014, 01:40 PM
Instructor
My Feedback: (16)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi thedeerhunter,

I flew a Kangaroo with a JPX T-250 for one year. Most of the replies you have received already are telling you not to fly with this turbine. Since you already mentioned that you don't plan on trying to fly with it, here is what I remember on the starting of this turbine. The glow plug you call it is an igniter
like the one used in a propane gas grill.

First hook up the air to the small tube on the side of the inlet. Attach the Ignition to the sparkplug and then ground it to the turbine. I like to use the small propane tube coming from the exhaust outlet to the GRU ( Gas Regulation Unit). Hook up the gauge to the right side port of the engine. This is a millibar gauge. You will need a t fitting in the clear line going to the oil tank. This can be medium glow fuel line. Attach the gauge to this line. Be sure to pinch off the line to the compressor and blow air into the oil tank filled with turbine oil until you see oil going into the turbine on top of the turbine. The turbine is now ready to start.

The air pressure should be around 150psi coming out of the regulator. When you spool it up, you will hear two different sounds. One is a low pitch and the other is a high pitch. When the high pitch is achieved, then the Ignition button is pressed. Open the propane valve about 1/4 turn or until you hear ignition. Open the fuel valve all the way open. Move the throttle rod out on the GRU until the millibar gauge reads 0.60 bar. If the gauge doesn't read 0.60, then the GRU will have to be adjusted until it reads 0.60. You might have to screw the GRU in or out until you reach this reading. At this time, you can disconnect the air, Ignition. Move the throttle rod out all the way. Adjust the GRU until the gauge reads 1.2 BAR.

The turbine is now running full throttle. To get low throttle, push the throttle rod in until the gauge reads 0.02 to 0.04. To shut down the turbine, pull the throttle rod out until the gauge reads 0.40 bar for about 6 seconds, then turn off the propane. Use a leaf blower to cool down the turbine. Good luck.....

Larry/ Instructor

Last edited by Instructor; 06-11-2014 at 01:50 PM.