RCU Forums - View Single Post - I converted a glow engine to run on E85
Old 06-13-2014, 06:11 PM
alshere

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, this thread seems to be going off topic, I dont think were trying to solve the worlds energy problems, and no one is disputing the chemical properties of an alcohol base. I'm continuing this to not only lower the cost of my flying addiction, but also to attempt to see if it can be done effectively. so far I have 2 small test platforms, an OS 46 LA and an OS 60 running with a stable idle, good transition characteristic's. running head temp.'s 250-280 degrees and front bearing temp 170-180. Im also getting longer flight times. at a 2:1 ratio of 15% nitro and 20% mix of synthetic and castor oils. by my math, Im now paying just $9.79 a gallon for a 5% nitro mix.
On the down side, longer spin time with starter (especially cold) 5-7 seconds. Ive also found that abrupt transitions while inverted can cause a dead stick in the 46. but the 60 is no so susceptible. thats what I've got so far, weather permitting I'm going to fly my Enya R1.20 4 stroke this sunday on a similar mix with less oil.

wingspan99 nice to hear from you.

Last edited by alshere; 06-13-2014 at 07:00 PM.