RCU Forums - View Single Post - Calling all experienced modelers...
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2014, 06:57 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by phmaximus
Maybe get the manuals for the older vehicles??

See I know they use different tools, metric vs imperial drivers

but are u saying there thread is different as well?? Or do they just use a lot of 1/2 sizes (ie. m2.5 and m3.5)

thinking about it... I swear they all have the same thread pitch... I've still got a 8ight 2.0 and 5ive-t if u need me to check any of the screws?
I looked at the Aftershock manual, LST manual, and the LST2 manual. They list 2-56 & 4-40 among others but when I pulled a screw from the transmission of a factory built LST2 and tried using it in my scratchbuilt truck, the screw didn't thread the same. It felt like it was cross threading and it was. Put the two screws together threads to threads and they didn't mesh. Two like screws of the same thread count/pitch will mesh together. I don't have a tap & die set and I can't find my thread pitch gauges so I couldn't verify what it was exactly. I pulled other screws from the factory truck and compared to the screws from the exact same location on the one I built and none of them meshed. That means they are not the same thread count and/or pitch. If they are supposed to be, either Losi used 3rd rate parts or RCScrewZ used 3rd rate parts. Not even 2nd rate parts would be this far off.

If you want to check them, go for it. But you don't need to. I'm not dying to know what's what, I was trying to prove or disprove another members claims of SAE screws being used on RTR trucks and 5-40 screws are easy to find because of that.