RCU Forums - View Single Post - HOW TO GET PEOPLE INTO COMBAT?
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2014, 05:44 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by biker 133
No ,I don't think foam planes < which i loath > is a good idea ,the whole idea of combat is to be realistic ,foam planes don't cut it ,like I said before ,if a guy is worried about loosing a $100 air frame then he should stop flying ,I don't advocate crashing your plane but in all the years i have flown combat I never lost a plane ,and if i did ,well that's the cost of having a ball .get into combat and have a thrill '''''''''''

Another perspective. I came across this thread researching RC combat, which I'm going to be engaged in shortly! If the goal is to increase interest and participation in this line of the hobby, why limit the planes that can be involved? Not everyone likes to, or has the ability to stick/kit build. And those that do, might not want to lose a plane. So why not use foam? EMBRACE THE FOAM!

Last year at our electric event we had folks from two other clubs put on a noontime demonstration. We had about 15 planes with streamers go at it for 5 minutes. All were either combat foamies, or profile planes. After 5 minutes only one plane was left, and he was the "winner".

I have to say, the crowd absolutely loved it. So did our members, and this wasn't something we had ever done in the past. Several of us decided to follow up on this and actually do it rather than watch it. What was amazing to many was the lack of mid-airs. Not one plane hit another. It's funny that every now and then we have a mid air at a huge field with only two or three planes in the air, and yet here we had none.

I'm hoping we'll have more participants this year.

Here is one pic towards the end of the 5 minute window.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	comb6.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	2010571