RCU Forums - View Single Post - I got the glow plug blues, or am I just a fool for my fuel
Old 07-07-2014, 11:58 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too am a big fan of Fox glow plugs. I like the Fox RC Long with idle bar for most of my two-strokes; they don't need the idle bar, but the plug is medium-hot like an O.S. #8 plug, and the idle bar doesn't hurt anything. The Fox Miracle plug is my go-to plug for 4-strokes and larger 2-strokes that seem to need more heat.

I rarely use after-run oil. I bought some when I first started flying, but I always fly with castor oil as part of my lubrication. In ten years, I haven't had to replace any bearings in any of my glow engines. I just run them dry when I'm done flying them, and the residual castor film is enough to keep the bearings rust-free and turning smoothly. If I know I'm putting an engine in storage for a while, I'll hit it with a few drops of after-run oil and bag it to keep it protected against moisture and the elements.

I've been told that Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) works well for both after-run oil and smoke oil. Hopefully someone with more experience can confirm that.