RCU Forums - View Single Post - tamiya makes an update....but is it the right one?
Old 07-27-2014, 04:48 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default tamiya makes an update....but is it the right one?

I like many Tamiya kits....tho some of them are pricey considering the gear they come with.

The cc-01 kits come with that lame "black box" esc that seems to be 100 years old. cant run below 27t motors, cant run on a lipo without an external LVC or alarm and not waterproof.

I picked up a RC mag today and see that the newest CC-01, a FJ cruiser now comes with a Brushless ESC!
BUT, it includes a brushed motor. Odd, right?

On top of that, the ESC can run brushless, but only sensored brushless (10.5 turn, 60amp limit)

The ESC is "splash" proof, not waterproof.

It cant handle more than 2s. And even with this esc, you cant run less than a 25turn brushed motor!

It does have some decent tunable features tho.

With this ESC, the price is $300.

IMO, Tamiya should have updated these kits with a traxxas xl5 type ESC....15t limit, waterproof, with low voltage detection. This would make the trail scale model more offroad capable right out of the box. Plus, the price shouldn't have had to increase as much. Upping the price due to a brushless ESC that only has a couple of features that will help you out of the box seems silly.

I honestly think if I bought a CC-01 in the future, I would just sell the ESC and get a decent brushed esc. Even a ezrun 35amp brushless esc has better specs. The only advantage of the Tamiya brushless esc is that running a sensored motor in a trail/crawler truck does make sense. But I think they did this more so you would upgrade to their brushless motor instead of the many cheap sensorless options out there.

Also, sadly, you still get plastic bushings.