RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ultra Sport 40 Discontinued ????
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2014, 07:18 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LesUyeda
" I don't understand why it was discontinued."

Usually manufacturers discontinue products when the demand drops below what they need to make it economically profitable for them.

Les
Les,
The don't actually "discontinue" a plane like the Ultra Sport 40. When they bring the plane to the market what they do is make a run of the kit and produce a run of kit and produce specific number of kits. For the sake of this discussion let's just say that number is 300 kits. So Great Planes produces a run of Ultra Sport 40 kits of 300 kits. When those 300 kits are gone they can either go back and make another run or simply choose to let the line stay "discontinued" like it is now. Back when Minnflyer and I started the campaign to get Hobbico to consider producing another run of kits we had to show them a legitimate sale interest of at least 300 kits before they would even consider producing the kits again.

So in short, they aren't discontinuing the kit at all. When it says discontinued it just means that stocks of kits that have already been produced have finally ran out.

Hope this helps

Ken