RCU Forums - View Single Post - 125% (1/4 scale) Anderson TA-152H
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2014, 10:23 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by dvs1
Thomas, I noticed you mentioned titanium for the trunnions, while I believe titanium would be plenty strong enough. What about the cost factor in having them made? Isn't titanium pretty hard to machine? I say the more the better because of strength vs weight bonus, just curious?

Also because of the weight, I know you plan to be around 50 lbs but knowing the amount of scale details put into it Im kind of thinking its going to be more. I wonder if you would be better off using a carbon fiber built type ribs in the wing next to the gear area as well as around the gear just for strength. Or do you think the aircraft ply will withstand a hard landing or two?

Oh and I must say WOW That landing gear is going to be huge!! I want to see the whole thing put together to get a visual! That 3d printer is awesome, I may have to get one after all!
The trunnion may not need to be titanium after seeing one in person, steel would probably be plenty sufficient and even then it may be overkill. I have to do the stress calcs on that part to determine what material would be best.

The Aircraft ply i use is really strong.. The 1/4" isnt like the acft ply you get from the LHS with 6plies, this stuff has 10plies and is like steel. Plus it will probably get a layer of carbon fiber on either side of it. Same goes with the ribs the plates are mounted to, except they will probably get a G10 doubler epoxied to them so as to also give a smooth surface for detailing.