RCU Forums - View Single Post - Want to start in RC Cars.
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2014, 07:33 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
Good choice. You won't regret it.

You're going to need TWO Lipos. OR one 4S Lipo...
You might want to consider getting a 3S Lipo to use while you learn to drive that fast buggy, and get a 4S later, when you've gotten to be a good driver and not hit stuff. 4S is a LOT of power.

Whatever battery you choose (and I do recommend those two above) I highly suggest staying with lipos rated 40C minimum. That rating is indicative of how much current (amps) the pack can supply. If a motor system tries to draw more than the pack can comfortably deliver, the pack can heat up. A little is ok, but too hot, and they can puff, or swell. In which case, the battery is suspect. So don't be tempted by the less expensive packs that are only 25C.

NOTE that you will have to change the battery connector to match the Deans connector on the car. If you don't know how to solder, get someone to do it for you.

Sound advice.

Also consider this, like most 1/8 vehicles there are probably 2 connectors on the ESC so, he would have to un-solder the "Y" and make it into a single connector to run the 3S pack. I used to have the older Ofna buggy 8e and it was a tough buggy. It was by no means quick and the instructions advised that altering gear ratios would void the warranty. I think it had a Leopard 1/8 in it. The specs on the SSe look better than the 8e so I imagine this wouldn't be an issue. The only gripe I had about it (probably because it was being discontinued) was that parts were difficult to obtain.

I wanted to touch on the Traxxas brushed 4x4 for a second. The bogus part about them is that Traxxas made them brushless "un-friendly" by using a plastic driveshaft instead of the aluminum tube on the brushless versions. You would have to upgrade this part too.