RCU Forums - View Single Post - Extreme Speed (Yes) Prop (No) Plane (Yes).. Meatloaf was right, 2 out of 3 ain't bad
Old 09-15-2014, 06:30 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OMG I ran the pulsejet yesterday. Yeehah! It is pretty impressive, one of those things where video just doesn't cut it.. behind the engine, it hammers your chest and blows **** everywhere, it's great!

Took a bit of fiddling to get the throttle curve set where it needed to be, I never did an injector flow test but just figured I'd sort it out on the test stand. You should see this thing suck fuel - on a rich mixture it's eating somewhere around 400cc/minute, I can watch the level dropping in the 500cc fuel tank on the stand. I haven't made my tailpipe spark probe yet, so we lit it with a blowtorch across the tailpipe. It works, but you need a fine touch on the fuel flow and air to kick it into resonance. After a couple of starts it was routine. I flooded it totally a couple of times, shut off the fuel and blew air through it and watched it spout fire like an oil well for a while. Cooling the engine with the leaf blower was perfect - the heat soak never got to the valves, they were a-ok afterwards.

A howling OPS .65 is pretty impressive, but this is off the scale. Gee, no pressure on the first flight.. with this thing thundering away and everyone waiting for you to look like you know what you're doing .