RCU Forums - View Single Post - Extreme Speed (Yes) Prop (No) Plane (Yes).. Meatloaf was right, 2 out of 3 ain't bad
Old 09-17-2014, 08:32 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This looks like it might be fun.

Having run the engine and sledgehammered that image into my mind, putting the two together gives me the willies. Pull the pin and hang on for dear life.. with my left hand quivering over the stop lever..

The keen eyed (?) might have noticed the two gaping holes in the wing, Shame that. I was curious about the amount of mechanical slop in the servos.. more than a clevis hole diameter, clack clack clack. I was under the impression it had Grauner 707 servos, but when I peered in with a flashlight (the elevon servos are built into the wing, very securely I might add) I discovered they were Hitec HS645MG's. I had some troubles with their kindred 625's in my prototype Demon.. two didn't move at the same rate, like mixing aileron with elevator for moment. But mostly the slop had me PO'ed, so I marked out a 70mm hatch and out with the Dremel and diamond cutoff wheel, with a roughly 45 degree bevel cut so it will be easy to rebuild. But ouch. Lots of grinding and prying to get the servos off, they were very well stuck down with a tough filled epoxy.

I must confess the servos did not survive the procedure.. victims of aggressive bonding and short patience due to having to remove them in the first place vie the top of the wing that only a short while ago I was wet sanding. Oh well. The screwdriver punching through the amplifier board was the first sign things weren't going smoothly. After that it was no holds barred, they're toast, Gonna get some nice tight, strong HV servos and run a separate pack for the servos, and the Rx off the speed control BEC. No reason not to, the pump is just a can 300 motor running at about 40% speed, and I'll use a 1800 mAh pack on each.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1275.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	2033162   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1277.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	2033163   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1280.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	1.44 MB