RCU Forums - View Single Post - First Quadcoter Build
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2014, 03:19 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CommanderBlaine
first thing's first i appologies if this is in the wrong section.

but i'm new to the forum and looking to build a quadcopter as my first ever build.

i have just bought this frame...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-HJ-MWC...item3ce51af74b

and i am looking to build ontop of that to make my first quadcopter

anyone know where i should begin with this, i have no previous experience
This frame is good for a first quad copter build.

Things to consider:

Motors & Propellers - do you want endurance or higher performance? Do you want to lift a camera? or a gimbal?

You can get fast revving (High Kv) motors and use smaller propellors, this generally gives sportier performance, or you can use lower revving (Low Kv) motors and large props, this is better for endurance and lifting a payload.

Speed controllers (ESCs) - you will need 4 of these, same brand and calibrated the same - most quad copters fly better with ESCs that have SimonK firmware - this removes a lot of features from the ESC that are unnecessary in a Quadcopter, and also provides a faster response to throttle changes.

Flight control board - again many choices and decide what you want the quad to do? For sport flying you just need a simple board such as a KK2, Multiwii or Naze 32.

If you want your quad to be able to hover in one position, and return home and land automatically, you need a more advance board, something like a NAZA M Lite, or higher. These will let your quad hover hands free, and has a number of programable fail safes that will bring your quadcopter home and land even if you turn off your transmitter.

With no previous experience its a learning curve. I would suggest watching as many videos as you can and hook into one of the Quad copter build threads on RCG. Even if they are different models to yours the knowledge to be gained from others is invaluable.

Actually: a quick search and I found a thread for your exact quad here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1888133

Good luck with your build and please let us know how it goes.

Last edited by Rob2160; 10-07-2014 at 03:22 PM.