RCU Forums - View Single Post - First Quadcoter Build
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 06:48 AM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CommanderBlaine
the list of parts sounds fantastic! thank you so much!

a gimbal and a camera sounds good to me actually, even though it has significant weight.

honestly it might seem ambitious but all i was really hoping to achieve with this build was to have some rechargable batteriers, a small solar pannel and a camera (and now in this case) a gimbal also

this way i can fly it up into the air, do a bit of aerial survelliance, as its using power it can be charging. the idea was to have it land on ground, but given i live in england and it rains about 99.9% of the year, having it land on water and being water proofed sounds like a good idea all this of course adds weight i would imagine a lot of weight for a very (i am guessing) light weight frame.

this was my plan, my family have a peice of land, things have been stolen from it repeatedly, on several occasions right under our noses, so being able to investigate the local area from the air would be an advantage..... i don't know if its possible but i did have the idea of using an arudrino circuit to have it auotmaitcally charge, cut off the charge should the batterys reach 100% this way they don't over load and at set times fly a planned route around the land, i don't honestly quite know how to do all this, the arudino stuff and soldering i'm 50/50 on, pretty sure i can do it just need the stuff, not sure if the solar pannel would be too heavy for it, as well as the batteries, i guess it would come down to how much lift this thing can take to see how much it could carry.

i feel this might be a bit too ambitious for the frame, however if i could just make it a remote controlled with camera and gimbal, i think that'll be a good start, i'd be happy if i could do that.

what do you think? too ambitious or could it be done?
I will be honest, that is a very ambitious project. Thanks for detailing what you are trying to achieve.

Multirotors are powered by rechargeable batteries and the most common technology is Lithium Polymer (LiPo). They can be charged quickly and will supply the output needed. The power generated by a small solar panel fitted to the quad will not be sufficient to power the quad.

Realistically, a LiPo Battery will fly for 10-20 minutes in a quad your size. The weight of the solar panel will greatly offset any electrical charge it can feed back into the battery.

It is possible to have the quad fly a set route around your property. This can be achieved fairly easily with hobby grade items and even operated on an iPad. But you will need to replace batteries and charge them manually between flights.

Your last paragraph is entirely and easily achievable, IE having it radio controlled, carrying a camera / gimbal and having the video streamed live to a viewing monitor. I'll do my best to list the things you will need to make this happen.

This video uses a quad similar in size to yours and is flown by First Person View (FPV) This means the pilot is flying by watching a monitor (or goggles) that displays live video from the quad.

I have never tried FPV so there are plenty of others with far more knowledge than I have in this area. I'll find some threads that might be helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8bOJDLnBjU

Last edited by Rob2160; 10-09-2014 at 06:50 AM.