RCU Forums - View Single Post - DeHavilland Mosquito
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2014, 07:19 AM
david polley

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dear Cody.
In the video I was running O.S.40SF ringed engines that I had rebuilt, but they were still too small to use 11 inch props.. The 11 X 6 props would just load down the engines and they never performed so I ended up using 10 X 5 Top Flight Power Point props...As you see when the model is coming in for the landing in the slow motion video the props don't even look scale, however it is what I had to go with..... Here is a short video link with the engines running in perfect harmony on a test flight before I decided to mount the nacelles.... When you get the engines set together this is the result...That awesome sound a twin makes is worth all of the trouble when you finally get them running together.... This is what I love about flying twins....That sound is just beautiful to listen too....These are mechanically tuned "old school" but with a lot of patience they will sound like this...... I am now using O.S.46FX engines and 11 X 6 props..... The 11 inch props finally give me a little prop wash on the rudder, which I was completely missing with the 10 inch props.....I also have much more power which is what you really need to get this off the ground...Mine weighs 13 pounds... This model can be an absolute handful when trying to take off with just engines and no rudder until you pick up enough speed for the rudder to have any effect.....All the more reason the engines must be as close together as possible from idle to throttle up to full power....... I am sure 12 inch props would give the scale appearance one is use to seeing on the real mosquito... 12 inch 3 bladed props would be ideal, but getting the engines you need to effectively run the prop would be another issue...... Anyway, here is the link that lets you hear how the engines sound when they are together.....I will send you a video link of my newest version of the model that has the leading edges I was talking about and the 46FX engines...That video was the maiden flight and the engines were pretty close but not exactly in sync. I still fly that model today. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZPewtLpsCE

Last edited by david polley; 10-28-2014 at 07:32 AM.