RCU Forums - View Single Post - Don Smith A-26 Build
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2014, 09:01 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The sheeting is 1/8" balsa. There are definitely sections where the sheeting needs to be "treated" to bend properly. Wetting one side with your choice of liquid is the key here. Lots of opinions on this. The moisture throws it out of balance making it curl one way. I generally use alcohol.

The cowling is scale, and it is even smaller than it would appear as most of it is cowl flap, which I do plan to make functional. The firewall is set back some, but the engine (DLE 55 R) will require 1" stand offs to get it in the right spot. There will be some engine hanging out, but not much.

Right now I am sheeting the bottom and finishing the bottom of the front end. I am pondering what to do in the way of access hatches and such. I have found it to be a big mistake to not build in access, even though the plans and design do not specify this. The fuel tank slides into a box, and I am pretty much set on just closing up the front end once I get the engine mounted. I may end up using blind nuts on the firewall (backed up by plywood) to bolt up the engine.

I have done my share of planking, and I think you want to use as wide material as the area will allow. I think it is a lot of fun actually, but it takes time and patience.

It looks like we are going to have some cool new planes at the field this next year!

Last edited by vertical grimmace; 11-16-2014 at 09:04 AM.