RCU Forums - View Single Post - need help with the twin force
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2014, 09:10 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarluvr
Sounds like a plan. I've figured it will cost roughly $50.00 in the parts I need to convert it plus the brushless system and batteries, charger... Everything I take off is usable on my other Mad Force that is still nitro with an OS .12 RG. So, the dumb question, do I buy a 1/8 system that will come with the ESC and motor? I'm sorry, but I don't know what KV is. I think the lower the KV the faster it is or less windings in it? I don't need a super fast motor/ESC but would like something that would be kinda moderate. Should I be looking at Mamba or Castle or something else? Last question, it has a radio and receiver that is old style with crystals, is that okay to use with these systems?
A 1/8 system is best, it is possible to get by with a 1/10 system....but it may only cost $30-$50 more to buy a 1/8 system.
There is the ezrun 80amp and 100amp brushless 1/8 systems. These are decent, but lower cost systems.
The Castle 1/8 systems will certainly work well.
KV refers to the number of RPMs per volt. If a motor is rated at 3300kv, then it will spin 3300 times a minute if 1 volt is applied (this is with NO load)
The motor mount on the truck does not offer much leeway when it comes to gearing options. You can work with any motor in the 1800 to 3000kv range. But, based on which you pick you will need to use a larger or a smaller pinion gear. I used the smallest I could fit (either a 15 or 16 tooth) because I had a small, 1/10 motor that was 3300kv.
The safest bet, look up the KV that the Kruiser and FOXX version uses. Buy whichever brand 1/8 motor you like that is the same KV rating. Then, look up what size pinion gear those versions use and buy that size pinion gear. This would take the guess work out of it.

With mine, since I used a smaller motor of higher KV, I bought a few pinion gears and tested each one while checking the motor temps with a temp gun. Once I found a gear that allowed the motor to run at a safe temp, that was what I used.

When it comes to KV, due keep in mine that lower KV motors generally have more torque. 1/8 scale motors can usually also handle 4s lipo (14-16 volts) as opposed to the 1/10 motor I was using that was higher KV but could only be run on 2s (7-9 volts) While the math may make it look like the higher KV motor would make the truck faster, you also have to factor in that the larger and lower KV motor will handle a larger pinion gear (taller gearing)

Radio....what you have you can certainly use. However, 2.4ghz radios are now very affordable and do offer some very nice features. My Flysky GT3S radio has 10 model memory, EPA, Duel rates and other adjustments that are nice. I can with a few clicks on the radio set my 35mph short course truck to do only 10mph...I do this some times so I can let my son drive the truck. The duel rate adjustment would allow you to change the steering angle so that the wheels don't rub (if yours do)
That radio is $60 and comes with 1 receiver. extra receivers are $10. Since the radio has model memory, you can program it to work with several trucks and go between the truck with just a few clicks on the radio.
The radio also has a rechargeable built in battery.
There are other 2.4ghz radios that are under $100 that offer similar benefits.
And, with 2.4ghz there is no chance of interference. With the older radios, there is some chance that high-power brushless systems can cause glitching. If you stick with your radios, make sure to mount your antenna up high and as far from the motor/esc as possible.