RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 12-03-2014, 10:53 AM
rcnut42
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhhh, something that warms my heart. I am 59 years old now and started flying first with one of those Jetco hand launched glider--Thermic B and it was such a sloppy work because my Dad and Grandad believed I should learn how to built the plane! Both flew way back in 30's with Megow Ranger and Zomby an some U/C Bipe with a twin plug Super Cyke (I still have the engine and it still runs after a careful rebuilt!) Anyway, I will dig up picture of my first real "job"--Sinbaid the Sailer covered in orange tissue with royal blue trim. I believe Henry Struck designed that one and then I'm trying to remember a model==a stick and tissue job designed, I think, by Chet Lanzo. Left the hobby during 70's and 80"s. Family and children. My mom threw out built but unfinished U/C models--grrr. It was an AT-6 Texan kitted by Sig and Jetco Sabre with Merco .35. I remember the biggest disappointment (still is) was crashng a Jr. Nobler with plain bearing Veco .19! I always went to a hobby shop run by a couple but the woman--I loved her--her name was Rose-- and she let me open the kits and look at it. The shop was located on Coney Island Avenue and Avenue S in Brooklyn, USA! Dad always went out to Hicksville by bus with others to fly back in the 40's and 50"s before the land was developed. I flew the gliders and rubber jobs and U/C at Marine Park in Brooklyn.

Today, I hate seeing those RTF whatever you call them. No appreciation of the blood, sweat, and tears put into building and then flying the planes. Sigh...

Now, I'm hoarding kits but flying mostly backyard flyers at school yard near home in Maryland.

Last edited by rcnut42; 12-03-2014 at 10:55 AM.