RCU Forums - View Single Post - BJ Craft Passion
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2014, 08:18 AM
flyintexan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I spent one late afternoon/evening working on the stab assembly. The parts indicate a slight upgrade from the BiSide components. I dry fitted the stab halves together away from the fuse and found a slight misalignment along the leading and trailing edges. One stab has hardpoints at each end of the two stab tubes for a small, long self tapping screw. I surmised that the tubes would be glued into the other half. On this stab half I carefully used a very small drill to make holes around the periphery of the front tube socket in both the root rib and the second rib where the tube terminates. This allowed me to persuade the socket to move slightly without total removal. With the stabs lined up I CA'd the new front socket position. I finished it off applying microballons and more CA to fill voids completely around the root rib and second rib. This method was nicely outlined in the BiSide thread I believe by Shannah. With the stabs in line a dry fit to the fuse showed excellent alignment to the fuselage and bottom wing. Just like the BiSide, some ply donuts are included to offset the stabs so the center pivot tube can be tacked to the socket in the fuselage. One more dry fit without the spacers to double check, removed the stabs and CA'd the large tube permanently. I saw in BiSide pics that there should be phenolic or g10 type thin washers that would keep the stabs slightly spaced off the fuse sides. I couldn't find anything in the box, so I improvised and cut some nylon sheet material I had laying around that was nearly 1/16" thick. I made a nearly rectangular shape with slightly oversized hole for the pivot tube. I glued these to each stab root and they look like they will work just fine. The large control horn and servo setup was straightforward. Sorry about the cluttered garage/workshop..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2230.jpg
Views:	1113
Size:	556.5 KB
ID:	2052130   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2233.jpg
Views:	1114
Size:	526.6 KB
ID:	2052131   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2234.jpg
Views:	1174
Size:	748.8 KB