RCU Forums - View Single Post - No.. could it be..?
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2015, 07:34 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's an idea.. the spars and strip/sheet stock are the PITA. But.. I get the spars bulk & cheap. Currently I am figuring on packaging in a bag with header card, and shipping in those triangular postal boxes. But there is work to do here.

I could do short kits though.. at least for the lot around the forum who know what they're getting. It is theoretically possible to split the spars too.. the solid CF joiner rod that fits perfectly inside them is off the shelf. But I don't wanna.

Right now one step at a time.. because of the size of my cutter platen, rather than cut a kit at a time, I am going to cut bulk pieces of each part and simply bundle them. Far more efficient in terms of wood utilization. However, the matrix you see here is one complete 1/8" ply set on a 10" x 18.5" sheet. I might actually prefer the large ribs cut on the bias.

Last night was a BIG milestone, the parts cut beautifully with nice straight kerf and no char - I "signed off" on the settings.

You're looking at the standard parts set - the mkI if you will - same as the last 50 or so. I have a cool built up hatch/servo arm cover assembly to incorporate and a couple of other improvements for the mkII.

Big thing is, I'm not going to stress out over the "business" side of this - I make dick all money on them and it is probably more hassle than it is worth . My day gig does a fine job of burning up most of my energy and ambition throughout the week, and a part time job at the donut shop would net more in one week than shipping 2 kits a day. But I'll make 'em because I want to and some folks seem to want them. My wife retires from teaching this year & she said she'd ship them - you have no idea how good that is for everyone involved, I hate shipping stuff and it's 15 minutes to town. Down the road we'll see what other things emerge from the funk works. The SD25 needs to come out as does it's electric brother. The SD25 is already prototyped and tested, just a couple of tweaks to fix it up for production. I'd dying to get a Jett 35 on one, they sure go on a .15-.25.