RCU Forums - View Single Post - No.. could it be..?
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2015, 03:35 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MJD
Funny, I was just thinking of the list of people that have been waiting for them.. and here's one crawling out from the bushes already! (cool!)

Yeah man, if you want to go short kit I can deal with that pretty quick. Today I'm picking up some 1/8" ply and will crank out a few more sets of parts over the next couple of days. I have enough spars for about 60-70 kits.

Need the fins or will you improvise those?

The only issue I am having, is that I'd prefer to supply aircraft ply for the engine mounts. I'm having an issue cutting it cleanly - the high glue content sucks up the energy and I get charring. Higher wattage and a faster travel rate would likely fix that but I'm only 60W. However.. I can cut 1/16" aircraft ply fine, so I think I will provide 1/16" top and bottom doublers, over the laser cut 1/8" lite ply. I'll shift the 2" nose ring up 1/16" to line it up with the crank. This will give a hard surface for the engine and blind nuts. Make sense?

I'll PM you later, if I forget PM me.. ;-)
You can easily cut 1/8 inch plywood with a 30 watt laser IF you purchase interior grade plywood. Exterior grade plywood, aircraft grade plywood and marine grade plywood all use water proof glue, usually phenolic resin which is very hard to cut with a laser and makes lots of smoke and flame. Interior grade cuts very nice, I have cut 1/4 inch interior grade ply with a 30 watt laser using two passes or so.

You can tell exterior grade plywood by the color of the glue between the wood layers. Phenolic glue is a dark brown. Interior grade plywood will not have the dark brown glue line.

Interior grade plywood is NOT the same as LitePly. It can be manufactured with different woods but I like birch. Almost as strong as aircraft grade and much stronger than liteply but not water resistant.