RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sabre XLT – A large scratch built flying wing sport jet
Old 01-16-2015, 12:42 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Birth of the Sabre XLT

After testing the Lancer, Mike offered to send his CAD drawings for the Lancer scaled up to what ever size I wanted. I said give me a 110” wing span. This was based on getting both wing panels cut from one 4’ x 8’ foam block with wing tips added. I took the CAD files to the copy shop and printed them out on 36” wide rolled paper. This resulted in a huge airplane! The fuse length was a little over 8’ long with huge wing panels. The root chord is about 41”, tip chord about 25”, and root airfoil is about 4” thick.

Sabre fuse concept with engine and thrust vector nozzle. Ruler is 48”

I asked Mike what are we were going to call it. He suggested he liked the names of pointy, sticking, spear stuff, so he said “how about Sabre,” I said great, lets add XLT for eXtra Large Turbine. So there is where the name Sabre XLT came from.

My construction idea was to take Mike’s enlarged Lancer plans and build the Sabre XLT with conventional IMAC style techniques using balsa, foam, and lite ply. I plan on using a Kingtech 180G tail mounted engine fitted with a thrust vector nozzle I acquired several years ago.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse Concept.jpg
Views:	2411
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	2064220