RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top RC Models MkIV full Composite Spitfire-a game changer
Old 01-21-2015, 06:55 PM
zrooster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I'm among the first to order this beast, and now I'm counting the days until that big box arrives on my doorstep! First off I want to thank Gus from Magnum for providing excellent customer support during this process. He's called me on no less than 3 occasions so far, to answer my questions! I ordered the EME 35 from him as well for this plane and, much to my surprise, it arrived yesterday (I figured he'd just ship everything in one big package).

So, I have a run stand I put together recently. I wanted to compare the amount of thrust I was getting from different props on another motor (XYZ 53CC). I ended up building a "sled" I mounted to a base using drawer rollers and used a digital fish scale as a crude force meter.

I slapped the EME 35 on there and cranked her up! First off, the EME is the easiest starting motor I've owned...(that includes Evos, DLEs, and XYZs). That's a breathe of fresh air as I nearly wore my shoulder out on the XYZ. As the motor wasn't expected and I don't have a decent hobby shop near by, I used the only spare prop I had on hand, a Xoar 18-8 (not the optimal prop for this motor). With that prop and a 2500 ma 6V NIMH, the EME pulled a peak 16lb on the fish scale. Factoring in significant friction from my drawer roller set-up, the fact that there's no way I mounted the motor and linkage to the scale perfectly in line, the fact that it was the first run in the motor (rings aren't worn in and I didn't have the needles at their optimal adjustment), and the fact that I had the motor underpropped, it's not unreasonable to believe I could realize 18+lb of static thrust when everything's dialed in. Here are some shots of my stand under construction with the XYZ installed (ran out of daylight today)...I'll post pix of the full up unit with the EME installed, and the whole thing in action (including numbers on the scale) tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	8941
Size:	960.5 KB
ID:	2066297   Click image for larger version

Views:	8980
Size:	752.4 KB
ID:	2066298   Click image for larger version

Views:	8752
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2066299  

Last edited by zrooster; 01-21-2015 at 06:58 PM.