RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top RC Models MkIV full Composite Spitfire-a game changer
Old 01-29-2015, 09:44 PM
zrooster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnum RC
Hi Zrooster,

I chose to add plywood because the firewall needs reinforcing as well. The kit provides you with hardwood triangles to do this with but the stock firewall is thin for my blood. For electric option, it is just fine the way it is. For a vibrating engine, I wanted a thick firewall to add more support and be able to grab ahold of more box frame. Another reason is I didn't want to install the triangles behind the stock firewall that would get in the way of the standoff mounting bolts that have large metal washers on them. The washers fit flat against the firewall. Another reason is I didn't want to negate one of the benefits of the engine design, anti vibration casing. You will notice that the standoffs for the EME engines are designed with a large mount to firewall footprint. Installing washers increase the length of the standoffs thereby increasing the vibration factor. I don't know about how much, but for me forgoing all the above in engineering wasn't worth not extending and thickening the firewall. It really wasn't that big of a deal considering the firewall just comes out of the box so you can trace around a piece of plywood, then done. Sandwich them together and you have a good reinforced mounting firewall that doesn't need the triangles in the rear. That's my story and I am stickin to it.
That makes sense, and is one of the reasons I thought you might have gone that route...definitely no harm in reinforcing the firewall. For the choke, I've got nothing. With the rear carb, there's no easy way to set it up externally. I'm tempted to put a small servo in the nose to actuate it...