RCU Forums - View Single Post - Break-in on the ground or in the air?
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2015, 11:57 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Truckracer
Use the gas / oil mix you intend to use long term ... I prefer something in the 32:1 range. Set the needles for normal running .... not rich like you would a glo engine. Make sure the engine is reliable on the ground and go fly. Don't beat the crap out of the engine for a few gallons and thats it. You don't have to baby it but certainly don't abuse it! Enjoy!

Of course make sure the engine is properly cooled in the plane with proper air inlets, outlets and ducting / baffling as needed.
I totally agree with this, but would add something. I like to do a few heat cycles on the ground first. Run it and get the needles close to correct. Then continue to run it at varying throttle settings for about two minutes , followed by a blast at full throttle for about 10 or 15 seconds. Then shut it down and let the engine naturally cool all the way down. Do this for several cycles, or one tank of fuel. Now re-tune/finalize your needles, as mentioned, not four stroking rich like a glow engine but set them at a slightly rich two cycle setting. Then fly it!! Don't hover it or Harrier it, but other normal aerobatics, provided you actually use the throttle during them, are good for break in.

Usually after that first tank of fuel you will notice the engine turns over more freely, idles and starts a little better, and holds a needle setting without much change.

I know this is an old thread, but decided to add my "two cents worth" anyway.

AV8TOR

Last edited by av8tor1977; 02-21-2015 at 12:01 PM.