RCU Forums - View Single Post - Don Smith A-26 Build
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2015, 03:00 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

All of the laminating resins I have used are thin. That is what defines them as such, that and they are easier to sand than standard epoxy.

Having glassed several curvaceous fuselages, the very thin resin, as described by Greg Hahn, is of great benefit in getting a good even coat over the entire area. I have never had good luck dragging stock viscosity laminating resin with a credit card or squeegee on a fuselage. Especially in the wing fillet area. A flat wing is a different matter.

I guess we shall see if I have a finish failure, as I used this method on my fuselage and it created the best results I have seen to date with many of the other methods I have used. Strength is relative to the application. We are not gluing in firewalls and landing gear blocks here. The 2nd and 3rd coat of resin was so light, I would be surprised if it even adds up to 2 coats applied typically with the squeegee drag method.

I did a test before I committed to this process, but having seen Gregs models in person, and going by his track record of winning every major scale event consistently over the last 20 years, I trust his judgement.

My final coat of resin went on last night. I did feel it needed the 3rd application. Much of it it gets sanded down anyway.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02019.JPG
Views:	1103
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	2081451   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02020.JPG
Views:	1089
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	2081452   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02008.JPG
Views:	1045
Size:	1.32 MB