RCU Forums - View Single Post - P-39 Airacobra Brotherhood
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 08:45 PM
simple
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for letting me in the club.

Here is a link to a video of my "Staged" P-39 crash at a Phoenix airshow in 06.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z6lmg-bZ00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z6lmg-bZ00 This is the Staged Airshow Dogfight at the One Eighth Air Force RC Show in Arizona - A giant scale German Captured P-39 Airacobra is sighted and an American P-47 Jug will be scrambled to shoot it down for the show center violent crash!!!

The P-39 was pulled from the junk heap and was suffering from structural failures. A series of irreversible structural modifications to make it airworthy were made for this last flight and I repainted the plane the night before with Krylon and Rustoleum spray paints to simulate Russian and German Captured markings..

The airshow safety team required the impact/crash location to be "beyond" the small dirt berm parallel to the runway and the impact was inverted to minimize damage to the landing gear as they were the only re-usable items. (Even though they did not work on this flight). Don't worry the airplane was not a quality detailed model. It was a fun kit and quick build model that had seen its flying days come to an end. The used electronics and engine had exceeded their usable life span and rather than just the trash can or back yard bon fire, the model was used to provide a little afternoon fun for a couple of hundred people and a fun project for the Boy Scouts to do a miniature crash investigation.

This was my 2nd P-39 and I should complete work on my 3rd (acquired) "Daisy Mae" almost 9 years later this summer.

There are no plans to ever crash this one
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CED48145.jpg
Views:	2162
Size:	308.6 KB
ID:	2085364  

Last edited by simple; 03-30-2015 at 09:39 PM.