RCU Forums - View Single Post - Build 6: SI3 Hydro .60/.90 size
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2015, 05:47 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Bringing this old girl back out for a few modifications. First trouble I need to fix is sponson/deck flexing. I haven't had it moving fast enough to have a problem with it, but with one of the other modifications I have planned.... There's gonna be a LOT of flexing all over! So in the first group of photos, I'm proposing to use aluminum arrow shafts to make a strut on either side of the radio box to one of two locations on the deck to stiffen the deck/sponson area.

Next modification is a complete engine mount overhaul. A nice welded aluminum mount with firewall type engine mount is my ideal choice which I will make at some point, but for now a wood/aluminum hybrid will be my choice for now. I made the mount longer than I originally planned due to having a larger than normal fuel tank (14oz bubbleless). The next time I place an order at Jett Engineering, I'll order one of his 8oz BubbleJett fuel tanks. Second group of photos is my current engine mount idea. The engine and tank will be mounted to the 3/4"X3/4"X1/8" aluminum angle stock. I did this on my SI3 .20 series with Jett .35 engine so the mount wouldn't crack from vibration. I will remove material to save weight and mill slots into it so the engine can be moved to adjust CG.

Last major modification will be the addition of what I call my "Eleanor" engine... Or in Dub Jett's words; "The animal engine". Jett BSE .56LX (AAC) high performance. Rated to turn a 10x6 APC at 18,000rpm, but likely will do a little better than that once broke in all the way.

This boat needs a new turn fin bracket too, will show pictures of it when I get the parts made.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	2097939   Click image for larger version

Views:	126
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	2097940   Click image for larger version

Views:	123
Size:	1.90 MB