RCU Forums - View Single Post - PCM?
Thread: PCM?
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2003, 07:57 PM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PCM?

Ah, I understand. A hotly debated topic.

I set the throttle to kill or idle. I feel this one is essential for the safety reasons. If you get interference, and it recovers, most pilots can land dead stick. Yea, sometimes it happens at a bad time, but its still better than your plane taking off to the pits and mowing down some spectators. I also set failsafe to turn off any extraneous items such as a smoke pump, lights, and so on. These could also be a source of interference, and if shut down it might just eliminate the problem altogether.

For the control surface, I like the sticks to the upper right corners. Like the statement earlier, the 'sticks to the corner' is designed to sacrifice the airplane yet attempt to protect the people on the ground. I can't think of any other position that will dissipate the energy of the airplane any better than killing the engine and commanding hard snap roll. If you are flying at an event and all the proper AMA safety rules are followed, the kill/snap configuration will almost always leave the airplane on the right side of the flight line and out of the pits. If left at hold, who knows where the airplane would end up. It could be the next county!

Others would recommend leaving the controls to either neutral or at the last commanded position (basically hold mode). However, a plane in hold mode, even with the engine dead can still cover lots of ground, and might make its way into the pits or local property. But, if they fly from a sparsely populated area with no spectators, last or hold might work best for them, and I might do the same under those conditions. I wouldn't do this in populated areas, or at events or fields where there is lots of spectators, traffic, buildings, etc