RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....
Old 07-01-2015, 05:02 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
I'm sure the highly paid "bean counters" have calculated the amount of attrition that will occur and came up with the $75 figure not to mention getting our dues 2 years early. I really hate it. How come the members (us) don't get to vote on this?
You know the answer to that one already, who is going to vote to have dues go up?

Don't know if they have actuaries on staff, but I think you're right, someone has probably already done a cost/benefit analysis somewhere down the line.

Back to the voting issue, as noted above I don't think the average person would vote for any increase in dues to a club, or in this case even a simple majority. And I also don't think members need to vote on issues even such as this, and in this day and age I can only wonder how many people would actually take the time and effort to actually do it. Then how is it tracked, calculated, etc etc. Given the prior comments in the thread, I'm sure that won't be a popular sentiment (they work for us, etc etc). I view it similar to politics, I voted for what I thought was the right person, and hope they see my way and the best way for the hobby. If not, then I don't vote for them again, or I get involved on my own and see what I can do. How many people do you think really want to be a DVP, or even higher positions in the AMA? If they start opening the door to voting for this issue or that, I see that going down a real slippery slope. Who then gets to decide the next issue that's voted on, and so on? The other way to vote of course is with the checkbook, just don't join. If the drop a significant amount of members, perhaps they will revisit what has happened. Time will tell I guess.