RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dues increase coming? 1 million spent on government relations.....
Old 07-01-2015, 07:42 PM
Jason Gross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where are all the new multi rotor pilots at? This discussion is in the AMA forum so they should be able to find it easy enough if they cared. I would think that they would be here giving their input since a big portion of this thread has dealt with the pros and cons of using everyone's AMA dues to fight the Feds on issues that were largely non-existent prior to the advent of affordable mulit rotor platforms. I'm not saying that we shouldn't include them, or that we should write them off as a viable segment of the hobby but their absence here seems to indicate (at least to me) their attitude towards joining in with the rest of us. I'm not talking about guys who fly other stuff and then went out and bought a multi, I'm talking about all the people you see plunkn' down money at the hobby shops for one that you can "fly" with your cell phone or that have big cameras and auto return-to-home capabilities but don't fly anything else. Those are the kind of people that should be lining up to join the AMA and the local clubs in order to get help since they are new but they're not. The technology in the new multi rotors is itself the problem. In the past there was such a learning curve that even with help it still required an investment of time, ego, and practice to say nothing of the money in order to learn to fly which served to weed most of the morons out of the hobby. Now, anyone who can fog a mirror can be out there helter skelter just as soon as they can get the batteries charged. I don't want to sound so negative, I hope we can ALL grow and learn together but we have to survive first so that's one reason I'll keep my AMA membership, at least they're trying to do SOMETHING even if it might not be exactly what I'd do.