RCU Forums - View Single Post - How about just one horizontal roll?
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2015, 03:40 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott is a good friend of mine, but I will disagree with him here. There is no reason to use rudder on one roll, especially with today's airplanes. You don't even need it on 3 rolls. The idea of the sequences are to build skills.. In Sportsman, it's supposed to be fun and introduce the box. You also learn basic wind correction and overall presentation. In intermediate, you start doing more inverted and will use more elevator in rolls. There is no reason to use rudder in rolls, until the slow and 4 point in advanced. Too many Sportsman pilots try to fly an FAI "style" in Sportsman rather than working on the true skills it is trying to teach. The sequences are designed to gradually increase difficulty with each new challenge. If you approach it this way, you will see greater results much faster as you are taking lots of small steps, rather than giant leaps. Most importantly though, have fun.

On your splendor, find one of the trim charts that are available and test for differential. I know of one local to me that did some weird stuff and it turned out one aileron had a lot more through than the other at full deflection. Using a throw meter to verify this is also beneficial.

Arch