RCU Forums - View Single Post - Kolibri fuel ramp
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2015, 09:59 AM
luckyflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm resurrecting this old thread because I'm having trouble with my Lambert T-30 with problems somewhat similar to what others in this thread have had. A little history on the turbine first though.In 2014 I bought this T-30 from a local guy that had purchased it and ran it on a test bench a couple of times and then did nothing with it. I bought it from him and put it in a Taft Viper jet and flew it for about 30 flights. The turbine ran flawlessly, it started easy and was a joy to operate. One day I started the turbine and I had a hot start I guess because I did not turn off the manual fuel valve. Well I panicked and instead of turning off the fuel valve I shut down power to the turbine. There was no cool down cycle so the bearings were toast. I sent it to Lambert for repairs and waited 7 months to get it back. I got it back in February this year and when I did get it back I took it out of the box looked it over and put it on the shelf because I was very busy with my work. Now I'm not so busy so I installed it back into the Viper and tried to prime the fuel line but the fuel pump would not run. I knew that this was not the same fuel pump that I had sent to Lambert because the pump I sent to him had heat shrink over the wires covering the terminals on the motor. I took the pump off of the motor and tested it and the motor worked fine. I then reassembled and with the motor running at a low to medium speed started to tighten down the 2 screws. Sure enough the motor stalled with little torque on the screws. I attached the fuel lines to the pump and connected to my large fuel dispenser so that I could circulate fluid. I connected the pump to a variable power supply and set the voltage to 3 to 4 volts and then let the pump run circulating fuel. Every few minutes I would tighten the two screws a little more until after about 45 minutes the screws were tight and the pump was running normally, final machining now done. I now tried to start but before it got going it flamed out and blew out a lot of smoke, I've always ran diesel and never had any problems. I tried a couple more starts with the same results and then noticed fuel dripping from the turbine area onto the floor. I decided to pull the turbine and clear any excess fuel from it with compressed air but did not get any fuel to come out. I then set up a test stand and got the turbine to start but it is shooting out a 4 to 5 inch flame. I thought maybe it would clear its self but it never did, the cone is now starting to glow red so I shut it down and it went into cool down but now I notice that the motor drive is slipping on the turbine. I pull the start motor housing off and flip over the o ring and that seemed to fix it. Its late so I stop for the day. Today I charged all batteries and start the turbine again same problem 4 to 5 inch flame, it does not clear so I shut down and the drive starts to slip. I'm prepared and have compressed air close by so I cool down using it. The turbine is simply getting too much fuel at start up. Here's the deal, I really don't want to use Martin Lambert if I don't absolutely need to. I believe there are two possibilities why the turbine is doing what it is. Wrong fuel pump, the pump says Lambert XP13. When I set my bench power supply to 1 volt the pump delivers about 3 maybe 4 drops per second. the other possibility is incorrect ecu settings Here are the settings from the ecu Pulse =1103 usec 15%, start min temp 100c, max temp 900c, acceleration delay 026, deceleration delay 016, stability delay 043, pump start point 027, pump start ramp 015, glow plug power 044. For now I would just like to get the turbine running correctly. I can use compressed air for start and cool down and later on fix the starter drive. Lambert guys please help me out.

Last edited by luckyflyer; 07-17-2015 at 10:20 AM.