RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why I'm going back to glow
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2015, 05:49 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by psgugrad
I've heard from several people on this site from Europe asserting that modelers in Europe hardly ever use nitro and that it is extremely difficult to find and quite expensive. If you can get your hands on nitro that's great, but I wouldn't brag about it too much...IMO nitro's main function is to cover up tuning mistakes.
Nitromethane's main function is not to cover up tuning mistakes. It does make the tuning window wider so it's easier to find that "sweet spot", but it's primary function is to add power. It carries a ton of oxygen with it which means you can burn a lot more fuel which results in more power. An engine running 15% nitro will make 600-1000rpm more than an engine running on zero nitro fuel.

One can maximize an engines efficiency (power production) by adjusting the combustion chamber shape, compression ratio, and the glow plug beat range to get the most power from the fuel but this requires extra skill, special tools, and a lot of time in some cases. Anyone can use FAI fuel, but an engine running with nitro in the fuel will almost always make more power and run cooler, and in a lot of cases be more reliable.

Last edited by 1QwkSport2.5r; 08-26-2015 at 05:51 PM.