RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/8th Scale Hydroplane Build
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2015, 06:43 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Time for an update:
Went camping last weekend and thought "I'll take the boat with me so I can work on it a bit". Needless to say, it took some major damage on the trip so I've spent two of the last three days repairing the damage. Yesterday was spent at the Hydroplane & Raceboat Museum on a research run. Since I'm building the 1973 Pay'N Pak and the full sized boat is being restored there, it was kind of a no-brainer. I found out a few things yesterday:
1) The plans I am building from have some serious issues when it comes to the top layout and the location of the center cross frame. Everything is roughly a foot to 18 inches too far aft. Needless to say, this can and will affect the boat's balance. Correction of this may result in a boat that won't need as much balancing weight to run properly. Time will tell
2) I hadn't gone so far with the build that correction of these errors wasn't an option.
3) The crew working on the full sized boat has done some fantastic work repairing or recreating areas of the boat
After I get a bit further, I'll post a few more pictures to show my progress