RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why I'm going back to glow
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2015, 12:05 PM
psgugrad
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
I've never noted more than a 200-300rpm change in rpm for every 5% nitro I add to the fuel. Keep in mind the combustion chamber shape has a lot to do with how an engine responds to nitromethane. AFAIK, European engines (including many ASP models) are designed for low nitro (usually 5% max) so using no nitro at all won't show such a power deficit using FAI type fuels whereas engines designed to use more nitro (OS for example) will show a higher power deficit when not using nitro. Increasing the compression ratio and changing the combustion chamber shape can regain some lost power when not using nitro but if the engine doesn't use a button head, you'd have to make a whole new head which for most folks isn't easy or cheap to do.
Funny that you mentioned ASP (Sanye I believe they are called outside the USA) A couple of years ago, I bought one and was impressed so I bought a few more. I have a .28 a .36 a .46 a .61 and a .91. They have all proven to be gems that run great on the cheap fuel I brew. Tight compression seems to be one of the keys

I bought the .46 about 2 years ago when my old OS 46fx got soft on power. The nickel liner peeled and Tower wanted $75 for a new piston-sleeve. For less than $60 I got the ASP .46 and OS has lost a customer, likely forever.