RCU Forums - View Single Post - Looking for a 2 pr 3 m high start glider
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2015, 12:35 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

That's a bit of an upper end model. You sure don't NEED anything that fancy to just noodle around and catch thermals.

What are the winds like in your area? Do you have a calm to moderate "window" of an hour or two on most days where you could fly with something less "slippery"?

I applaud your desire to go pure gliding with a hi start. But consider that you need a lot of room to set it up and use. And it sure doesn't mix well with power flying where the models can all too easily pick up the line and get tangled if it happens to fall across the strip or someone happens to land off in the weeds where the line and rubber are laying. If you will be fling with the rest of the guys a nose mounted motor instead of a hi start would be advisable.

If you'll be on your own do folks walk their dogs on the field? I've seen dogs and folks get caught up and tangled in the line. And I've even had to chase off a dog that was chowing down on the rubber. All quite amusing these many years later but a bit of added stress at the time

If you're after a new challenge you'll certainly get it. I liken thermal flying to fishing. You never know what is up(down) there until you cast your "line" out. Then it's time to look around and try to see a "bite". Then the game is on to center (land) the thermal(fish).... The best part is that no two days are ever the same. And the thermals tend to be like snowflakes with some big and fluffy and others dust like and fickle. Constantly challenging and still able to hold my interest all these years later.