RCU Forums - View Single Post - Stihl MS660 big bore conversion.
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2015, 06:58 PM
Jim.Thompson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAGNUT
the case does need to be sealed well and standard contact seal bearings don't always cut it. only reliable way to use these is to leave both seals in place and rely on the grease for lube..... the back end (clutch side) can simply be sealed off with a plate or with whatever you cook up for a mount....but only if you cut the unused part of the crank off. front side can also have a plate made to hold a standard oil seal that will do the job just fine. pretty sure you're going to need something to retain the bearings anyways. and the case is most definitely magnesium. my favorite tool for doing the rough cutting is a good bosch jigsaw with bimetal aluminium cutting blades. a good band saw would probably be even better. save all the scraps for a bonfire...
Excellent information Zagnut; just what I was going to ask today. The treatment of the main bearing seals you describe is very good.

Originally Posted by w8ye
to post pictures, you are given the opportunity by using the "Go Advanced" option in the lower right corner.

You can also use the insert image picture icon in the quick reply editor.

In both these you will need the picture on your hard drive.

You can use a host like Photobucket for your pictures and link to them via the "img" option.
Thanks for that. I will give it a go now. (maybe later, my line speed is slow just now).