RCU Forums - View Single Post - is nitro on its way out?
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2015, 05:08 PM
Hortco

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Guys-I recently switched from electric to nitro.
When I began flying I knew nothing about glow fuel engines except that they were a real pain ( my father flew glow fuel nearly all of his life).
I enjoyed the clean quiet simplicity of electric power but the downside was LiPo batteries.
They were expensive, I couldn't just go fly whenever I wanted because it took lots of time to charge them, they needed to be monitored while charging, most don't survive a crash, they are a fire hazard and when they run down your done flying.
When my father passed away in 2000 I got most of his stuff so I always had glow engines stored in the shop. Last year I decided to give glow power a chance.
It took some time to learn how to use them but once I got my first glow-powered plane in the air there was no turning back! There is something satisfying about getting that motor running and then flying the plane- the sound, the power, the smoke and when the tank runs dry, you just fill it up and take off again- all day long!
Sure it's messy and there's more to take to the field but it's worth it!
I do still have a few electric planes (the ones that I really liked that flew great) but most of the time I take the Glow planes to the field.
There will always be a market for glow power. I seriously doubt that it will be done away with.
There are many still flying and buying them- myself included!