RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ultra Rc Evolution
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2015, 10:25 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RonMcCormick
Funny you did that, I was just re-reading what others have posted about the wing, I was just about to throw them into the trash and buy new wings when I decided to tear the bottom sheeting off and look at the construction. What I noticed was worse than I thought it would be but I think it can be fixed rather cheaply.
The issue with the failure is the center line length wise of the tube moved away from the center line of the spar, in the design used by the manufacture there is nothing I could note to prevent this from happening. Every wing out there built like mine will fail eventually. The first movement of the tube center line is microscopic each following movement will be greater until catastrophic failure occurs, this could happen in straight and level flight. In better design wings the tube is locked in place in the center of the spar. (This is basically the conclusion already discussed here)

So what to do about it?
If one picture is worth a , well you know.

R4 is the new end point for the tube R3 is factory location.
S1 is a 1/16" ply shear web extending from R3 to R5
R4 is 1/8" ply
The key is to lock down the tube tip at R$ so it cannot move off center.

questions?

I'm building this for the fun of it not competition, those days are over, power will be Dle 35RA with muffler.
Ron did you get any experience running the DLE? It's a good engine and has ample power for this size model.

Glad you figured out the problem and fixed it. BTW- what's the rib spacing in that wing?

As an aside, I just completed the tooling for making built up wings (of my design). The panels are fairly large (470 sq inches) but exceedingly lightweight (170-175 grams per panel). My rib spacing is 2 1/4" (16 ribs per panel). My target is 12 ounce RTF with servo and linkage weight, fully painted.