RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top RC Zero from Gator R/C
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2015, 07:23 AM
Hot Rod Todd
My Feedback: (1)

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The flap hinges seem acceptable, and there is no easy replacement for flat hinges that size. First step is to once again test fit all the hinges in the slots. I noticed they were a bit loose on mine, so I knew I'd need to get as much glue in there as I could. Once again I'm using Z-poxy 30 minute glue. I put the vaseline on the hinge joint. Then I used a small piece of card to jam as much glue into each slot as I could.

Once the glue slots were well packed, I smeared glue on the hinges, paying attention to get plenty of glue in the little holes in the hinges. I then slid all the hinges for one flap into the wing, then attached the flap. Once again some paper towels and alcohol are used to wipe down any extra. They line up well, when the back of the flap is aligned with the wing it gives the correct spacing. Make sure you cycle the surface to get the hinges aligned with each other to prevent binding once they dry. I clamped it in place and moved to the 2nd Flap to repeat the process.

After about 30 minutes I once again cycled them to make sure everything was good.

I decided to check into the elevator servo mounting. I verified that I was happy with the system that mounts the stab to the carbon fiber joiner tubes before deciding to mount the servos into the horizontal stabs. It's a tight fit to get the servo down in the stab, but a standard size fits. I'll be using HS-5685MH Hitec servo's throughout. Plenty of torque, even a bit overkill. When attempting to get the servo squeezed down in the little hole I noticed the mount seemed to move. I checked again, and could see that the mounts needed a bit more glue. Here's a couple photos looking inside the stab showing that it would be good to verify there's enough glue to hold them solid. I mixed up some Hysol and shoved it into the areas that needed more glue and set it aside for later.

I started checking on the Flap and Aileron mounting. They use nice Jet-style L brackets, common on Jet ARF's. Problem is, they actually ARE jet mounts. That means the servo mounting screws are the right length and diameter to hard mount servos. They will not fit into the grommets for rubber mounting. I think I'll take the risk and do the hard mount for my Zero since I'm using the twin. Anyone using a single cylinder engine would be well advised to convert to a rubber mounting system by mounting the servos to the hatch or by using smaller screws with nuts. Here's a photo of the mount attached to the servo. Make sure you use thread locker if you hard mount them using the machine screws.

I'll be getting the servos mounted and will post more info soon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2752.JPG
Views:	8838
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	2135895   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2751.JPG
Views:	8791
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	2135896   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2753.JPG
Views:	8736
Size:	272.5 KB