dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I wanted to show how I got my pilot figure and cockpit. Very rarely do you see a correct helmet on a RC Panther pilot, in fact I don't think I ever have. I decided to sculpt my own head and place it on a WWW.WARBIRDPILOTS.COM 1/7 ~ 1/8 10" tall British RAF Pilot Figure. The Ziroli Panther is not quite 1/6 scale, so the pilot had to be a bit smaller, but the head that came on the figure was way to small, I was not going to use it anyway. I also cut the boots down to just shoes, used the goggles and oxygen mask. I think the uniforms were either green or tan, not sure, I've seen both. I think Warbirdpilots has a green uniform on the jet pilots, maybe that one would be better.

Here I show the silicone mold, resin head, finished pilot and the mold for vacuum forming the instrument panel.

I am still not done with the cockpit, but here is what I have so far:

Here you can see that the entire cockpit is easily removed, ejection seat is held in with magnets and the floor with two small screws.

One thing I think I mentioned before, but I want to touch on again, is that the Ziroli canopy as drawn on the plans and the one they send you is WAY over sized. When I first stuck it on my framed up fuselage my first thought was, oh god, it's an observation plane!

Here you can see a red line, use this as a reference when viewing any three view or any picture of a full scale Panther, you can clearly see where the rear glass ends very close to the lip of the intake.

It is hard to show, but you can see the stock canopy next to mine, it extends a considerable distance past the intake, in doing so it has to be much taller also.

I used the stock canopy to make a plaster mold, sanded the plaster smooth and pulled a clear canopy. From that I made a fiberglass layup and cut it down as needed to make the frames in the correct spot and get the correct length and height.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ziroli Panther Cockpit 3.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	2137852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ziroli Panther Cockpit 6.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	316.5 KB
ID:	2137856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ziroli Panther Cockpit 4.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	611.7 KB