RCU Forums - View Single Post - Skyshark Dauntless Build
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2016, 05:50 PM
chistech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[HR][/HR] Did a little work today. I trimmed and fitted the front deck and now I've decided to go with it. I was able to get it fitted well and like the results. I found that the front lined up well, the back was not level with the cockpit bulkhead. I added a 5/32 piece of balsa to the plastic upper deck rear then sanded it down level with the cockpit bulkhead. Fitted the wing, checked alignment, and then drilled F22 for the mounting bolts. I used two nylon 1/4 x 20 socket head screws to mount the wing. Using these allows the heads of the bolts to be inside the holes of the middle flap so the flap closes with no issue.

Front of deck fitted. Not much room for gaps underneath the plastic so I'm not worried about reinforcing it. Glassing it might actually take it out of the shape I need but I could put some glass then tape it down on the fuse over some wax paper.

Side of deck trimmed and sanded thin on the edge for a closer fit to the fuse.

Piece of 3/32 balsa glued on the back of the deck. The rear of the deck was at an angle with the left side almost even with the bulkhead and the right side off about 1/16.

Balsa sanded down level with the bulkhead. You can see the corner in the left with the plastic just exposed while the right side has about 1/16 worth of thickness.

Socket head bolts in the hold down plate. This picture also shows the torque rods for the dive brakes.

Here is the main middle flap closed with the bolt heads in the flap holes.