RCU Forums - View Single Post - Skyshark Dauntless Build
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2016, 01:47 PM
chistech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My best friend, great builder, and airbrush painter aficionado is doing a fiberglass show and tell tonight at our club meeting and my stab will be the item being covered. I wanted to get the elevators, rudder, and ailerons covered so yesterday I brushed on the Balsarite and got the elevators and rudder covered with aluminum colored Solartex. I finished up the ailerons early this morning. The Solartex is a great product to work with. I use the aluminum so after it's painted, some paint can be scraped off to simulate primer or aluminum depending on what model I building. Can't get plain Coverite any more any way!.

Piece by piece, it's coming together. Got the 7/8" hole for the fuel tank drilled and fit the fuel tank in. Most of wants going in the plane is in other than the two pilots and cockpit details. Still have the muffler to fit , the fueler, and the remote glow but it's just those little things. Got to clean up my work bench and give the whole area a good vacuuming. Nice to have a clean areas again plus it makes the wife happy. She usually works out about 6' from where I work on my planes. She likes having the company when she's on her elliptical.

How much a little covering adds. Added a piece of 1/8 balsa at the base of the rudder to fill the gap in before I covered it.

Starboard aileron covered.

The trim tabs will be painted on with the airbrush. A special technique used make them look 3 dimensional.

All assembled with flaps down and ready to go the meeting where I'll take the stab off for glassing. Put my radio gear in and the switch is out on the port side of the saddle so I can do a SAT.

Same shot as a previous post just with the flight surfaces covered.