RCU Forums - View Single Post - My losi lst e-conversion fine tuning
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2016, 09:54 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Yeti XL 2200kv is a Castle motor anodized gold instead of green. Yeah some of what you pay extra for is Castle's advertising and warrantee (Neewer and the clones have neither) but your also paying for a better motor. Magnet lamination thickness and the copper used are the big determining factors in cost and performance. Thinner laminations cost more but have more performance and greater efficiency, then there's the Nue/Castle design.

But I've already mentioned all that and I'm not going to argue it further. That's why I said whatever motor you choose to run has to hold up to YOUR bash session. If it's not working for you it's not working for you. It's my personal experience and others, that a higher quality 4074 motor (like a Castle 2200kv) should be geared for about 45mph in a vehicle like the LST. Some can away with gearing for about 50mph depending on exact weight and surfaces being run on but generally 50mph and above it's time to look into adding a fan. This is a generalization and is meant for a fairly safe setup where you don't have to be afraid of overheating if you use the throttle. It also assumes a variety of surfaces including grass and summer time ambient temps not cold winter ambient temps. You're nearing temp limits with a fan, in colder ambient temps on grass, draw your own conclusions. And the reason your motor cools down fairly quickly is the because of the fan and cold ambient temps.

Also don't forget you can increase the spur gear size as well. The 50t HPI Trophy truggy spur should fit your HB diff and it'll both give you some clearance and gear you down a little at the same time. A larger spur and/or shimming the diff up would likely be required if you went with a 1717. Awesome motor by the way, have one on my LST XXL feared for about 55mph on 6s, no fan, no temp issues ever. Good luck

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 02-21-2016 at 09:58 PM.