RCU Forums - View Single Post - Are you ready to register your aircraft?
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2016, 04:09 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
how about between 300 and 16,000? Split to difference? Ha!

Are the projected numbers puffed up...sure, probably. Build excitement, make it seem bigger than it is, it's all about promotion I'm sure. Had to chuckle when I looked at the "world class pilots" that were slated to fly, I think they listed 4. Impressive!

The whole organized racing this is still in it's infancy, but it's probably the biggest growth segment of this hobby right now (other than the dreaded foamies) and other than the big name fly ins that we all know about, I don't see anything else bringing in these amount of people. Even if you knock it down to several thousand, those are still big numbers for a two day event.

Chances are they got that number from somewhere, it's an odd number to just put out there. Also, they secured that location for two days. I know you are trying to minimize the attendance...but did you see how big that place is? As the Donald would say...it's uuuuuuuuuge. Also, about 10k to rent it out. Unless the attendees are forking out a few hundred dollars for landing fees, I'd say your prediction might be off. Perhaps they'll have coverage of the event.

I watched a much smaller event last year at the NEAT fair, they had a section set up just for FPV racing, part of a quarry actually. Meh...wasn't that interesting to watch. Like trying to follow big flies. Much easier to watch the fixed wing stuff fly. And all nice and quite electric stuff!
I know your convinced that this whole drone racing deal will be a God sent to the AMA along with the hobby but I just don't see it and I'll explain why. I've followed all the events and the turn out numbers just aren't there. Take the F3expo, it was covered on social media and pictures don't lie. There's the entrants and a whole lot of empty seats. Remember paying attendees foot the bill for any event. Will this one be different? Time will tell. The locals here ( all 8 or 9 of them) that want to drone race bounce from place to place and lack any kind of organization and will not affiliate with either club in town although we offered our sites to them they choose to go their own way. My guess is to avoid club dues and AMA.
Just how will that work? I also believe that if the AMA could show growing membership due to multi rotors they put them out just to prove they were right in courting them.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 02-25-2016 at 04:15 AM.