RCU Forums - View Single Post - BVM Composite Bandit Build Thread. Yes from 1998.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:00 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I will definitely be using that advice. Im not convinced its going to be much heavier than the Ram 750 install. I've seen an old ram 1000 which is just a 750 over clocked, and it looks huge like an iron lung!
If anything, I would think it will be about 1-2 lb heavier and from my experience with jets it wont make any different.

I worked HARD to reduce the weight of a jet I had from 32 lbs to 27 lbs and it made no noticeable difference.

Maybe Im wrong and this one matters.

My JL viper I used to run a K100 and it gained a few lbs when I put in the K140 and it made 0 difference on landing speeds. If anything, I usually find 100N airframes to be underpowered for some reason.
I do have a K100 but I put it in my YA f-18. An equally over powered jet.

BTW, before I start cutting this thing up, I would entertain offers, and am open to trades.

Normally I would never own a bandit but I got lucky.

I just finished up a Yellow aircraft f-18 so I think I have the skills but Im more of an arf guy.

Originally Posted by roger.alli
Wow. Awesome indeed. You have a real bargain here!! (A tad better than $20 Raff) Being a Bandit fan, I am just a little bit jealous ...

Mounting the pipe is easy using the typical BVM method..

Please Please take the advice of Harley and others here. The Bypass/internal ducting is the best you can get. Don't even think about running without it. Disaster will surely follow.

A K140 comp Bandit will be a Monster.. It is possible, but will be CRAZY fast, and HEAVY.. You will need to be on your toes all the time while flying.. And landings will need to be precise.. Here is my Balsa Bandit in action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzGaXweytNc . (Same air frame as yours.) powered by a PST 600 a mere 13 lb thrust turbine, and 19 lbs all up weight.. Watch how slow it lands..

My advise would be a K 100. This combo will easily exceed 200 mph level flight, and be much friendlier/forgiving in the pattern. Your choice of course..

Enjoy it.. This kit, although quite old, was designed and built in Florida, to BVMs high standards. Brilliant air planes..

Roger